Sunday, March 6, 2011

What Would Your Father Say: Part 1


            A child knows when they have done something wrong when they are asked, “What would your father say?”  Generally, the kid probably has a pretty good idea about what the father might say, or he may not want to think about what he may say.  Can you hear the tone in the question?  If one was trying to convey something positive, they may say, “You’re father is (or would be) so proud.”  I certainly knew the difference growing up.  

As much as children do not want to admit it, parents’ advice and instruction comes straight from love.  The last thing kids want to hear when they are disciplined is, “I am doing this because I love you.”  My brothers and I often plead the case, “No, if you loved me you would NOT be doing this!”  It never seemed to work.  Not only do parents’ advice and instruction come from love, but they also come from wisdom and experience.  They want what is best for their children and try to guide them toward that path.  The wise man even recognized that a father’s instruction should be listened to, “Hear, O sons, a father’s instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight, for I give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching” (Proverbs 4:1–2, ESV).

God speaks to us through His Scripture and it is wise to ponder on a daily basis, what would God say?  Thank God He made the Bible so easily accessible for so many.  Listen to the instruction here by the wise father, “Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments, and live. Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight. Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her. She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.” (Proverbs 4:4–9).

Do these words resonate with you?  They are the words blessed to us by the heavenly Father who loves you and is crazy about you.  What would your Father say?  Open your Bible and find out.

No comments: