Wednesday, April 6, 2011

To Hate Discipline and Despise Reproof


    Who likes or liked being spanked…nobody?  Shocking!  I hated the stinging sensation on the rear end because of that ‘ole oak paddle.  The older and wiser people become, the more they can appreciate discipline and reproof.  Obviously discipline and reproof change their appearance to fit the age and nature of the incident, but nonetheless they come in many facets of life.  It takes a special soul to wake-up in the morning and pray that discipline and reproof come on them.  I do not ever recall having requested this other than from the pulpit if I say something that is out of line with the Scriptures.  Discipline and reproof are not supposed to be pleasant.  If we can learn to take them as a learning experience and grow from them, we can have a much more fruitful life.

    If we let our guard down as Christians, Satan will not waste time to make his bed in our minds.  He will begin to twist lies in order to make them seem true.  Consider Solomon’s wisdom, And now, O sons, listen to me, and do not depart from the words of my mouth. Keep your way far from her, and do not go near the door of her house, lest you give your honor to others and your years to the merciless, lest strangers take their fill of your strength, and your labors go to the house of a foreigner, and at the end of your life you groan, when your flesh and body are consumed, and you say, ‘How I hated discipline, and my heart despised reproof!’” (Proverbs 5:7–12, ESV).  You can appreciate discipline and reproof without necessarily liking them.  If you cannot appreciate them now, prepare for a world of eternal discipline and reproof…Hell.

    When we do not heed discipline and shun reproof, many horrible outcomes are possible.  To be narrow-minded to correction truly exemplifies a stubborn heart.  Even Jesus sat at the feet of teachers growing in wisdom and stature (Luke 2:46, 52)!  We should certainly be willing to do the same.  I did not listen to the voice of my teachers or incline my ear to my instructors. I am at the brink of utter ruin in the assembled congregation.” (Proverbs 5:13–14).  Listening to teachers, parents, and mentors to grow in wisdom is one of the best things we can do.  Take the words of the wise father to heart and stay as far from sin as possible.

No comments: